Kevin MacNeill - Head Coach
Phone: (519) 824-4120 x. 52590
On December 19, 2016, Kevin was named full-time Head Coach of the Gryphons football program after having served as interim Head Coach the previous 11 months. Prior to becoming Head Coach, Kevin spent six seasons as Defensive Coordinator with the Guelph Gryphons, winning the 2015 Yates Cup Championship. Coach MacNeill brings two conferences of CIS experience to the football staff, having coached in the OUA and Canada West conferences before joining the Gryphon family. Before coming to Guelph, he spent two seasons coaching at UBC as the Recruitment Coordinator, Special Teams Coordinator and Linebacker Coach. Prior to that, he coached at his alma mater, Wilfrid Laurier University, from 2004-2007 as a Linebacker Coach and Special Teams Coach. Kevin was a part of the 2005 Coaching staff that won the Vanier Cup.
Kevin served as the Linebacker Coach for Team Canada's Jr National Team that competed in the 2014 World Championship. He held the position of Defensive Coordinator with Team Canada U19 from August 2015 to May 2016. He has also served as the Head Coach of the Guelph Bears from 2005-2006 winning the Coach of the Year Award in 2006. He has been a volunteer coach with the Jr Varsity Preds winning the OVFL Championship in 2001, Guelph Bears 2002-2006, Cambridge Lions in 2012, and he returned to the Guelph Bears in 2013. Coach MacNeill has also coached the GTA Rising Stars serving as both Defensive Coordinator and Defensive Quality Control Coach.
As a player, Kevin had an outstanding five-year playing career from 1999-2003 at Laurier. He was named a CIS Second Team All-Canadian Linebacker in 2003 and was an OUA All-Star in 2001 and 2003. In 2001 Kevin was selected as the Golden Hawks Football Most Valuable Player. He was later signed by the Montreal Alouettes.
Kevin graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Communications (Wilfrid Laurier, 2003) and is currently completing his Masters of Arts in Leadership at the University of Guelph. Kevin lives in Guelph with his wife Monica, 8-year-old daughter, Hailey, 2-year-old son, Stephen, and newborn daughter, Evelyn.
CIS/U Sports Coaching Career
- 2016-Present: University of Guelph (Head Coach)
- 2010-2015: University of Guelph (Defensive Coordinator)
- 2008-2009: University of British Columbia (Recruitment Coordinator & Special Teams Coordinator)
- 2004-2007: Wilfrid Laurier University (Linebackers Coach & Special Teams Coordinator)
- 2016: Junior National Team (Defensive Coordinator)
- 2014: East-West Bowl (Defensive Coordinator)
- 2014: Junior National Team (Linebackers Coach)
- 2013: East-West Bowl (Linebackers Coach)
- 2012: East-West Bowl (Special Teams Coordinator)
- 2002-2006: Head Coach of the Guelph Bears (OVFL) - named OVFL Coach of the Year in 2006
- Coached CIS President's Trophy winner John Rush in 2015 at Guelph; also coached two OUA President's Trophy winners (Jesse Alexander & Anthony Maggiacomo) while serving as Linebackers Coach at Laurier in 2006 and 2007
- Communication Studies (BA), Wilfrid Laurier (2003)
- Currently pursuing Masters in Leadership, University of Guelph
- Wilfrid Laurier University (1999-2003)
- CIS Second Team All-Canadian (Linebacker, 2003)
- Two-time OUA All-Star (2001, 2003)
- Team MVP (2001)
- Signed by Montreal Alouettes (2004)
- Attended high school at Sir Wilfrid Laurier Secondary School in London, Ontario
- Played two years for the London Beefeaters (CJFL) prior to attending Wilfrid Laurier University
- Lives in Guelph with wife Monica
- Has 3 children: 8-year-old daughter Hailey, 2-year-old son Stephen, and newborn daughter Evelyn